Home Schedule Class Requirements FAQ Links Contact

Home > FAQ's


Who is required to have boater education?
Any person who is 12, 13, 14 or 15 years of age that operates any boat powered by a motor more than 10 horsepower, a sailboat 16 feet or greater in length or a personal watercraft (PWC) is required to successfully complete a boating safety education class.

What type of boater education course is required?
You must successfully complete a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating safety course. If you pass the course, a card will be issued to you. Carry this card with you when operating your boat or PWC.

What other restrictions are there?
If you are operating a motor boat or sailboat, you must have an adult 18 years of age or older on board the boat with you in a position to take control of the boat if necessary. If you are on a PWC, you must be visually supervised by an adult 18 years of age or older within 500 yards of where you are operating your PWC.

Where can I get boater education?
The Oklahoma Highway Patrol offers a free 6-hour classroom course. Call 405-522-1880 or log on to www.okboated.com to find a course near you. Courses fill up quickly. Pre-registration is recommended.

Are there other ways to get my boater education?
The Coast Guard Auxiliary and US Power Squadron offer NASBLA approved boating safety classes. There are private course providers that offer Internet and video home-study courses. Private course providers usually charge a fee to take their course. Make sure the course you select is NASBLA approved so that you meet the legal requirements for boating in Oklahoma and many other states.

All courses are approved by the National Association
of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).

Copyright � 2007-2010 OK Boat Education. All Rights Reserved.
Site Map | Replace Card